A level IV trauma center in Washington State has installed copper components throughout its facility as another way of reducing hospital-acquired infections and keeping their patients safe.
Pullman Regional Hospital has become an early adopter of antimicrobial copper after studies found that the age-old metal could continuously kill deadly bacteria.
Each year, 2 million people in the United States are diagnosed with a hospital-acquired infection and nearly 100,000 people die. These infections are caused by common bacteria such as E. coli, MRSA, C. diff, CRE and VRE.
“It is a very serious problem,” said Ed Harrich, the director of surgical services for Pullman Regional Hospital. “I think every hospital across the nation is doing everything they can to try to deal with it the best that they can. But there’s bioburden on everything and people aren’t good at hand washing and there’s cross-contamination everywhere you go.”
To view the Multimedia News Release, go to http://www.multivu.com/players/English/7378651-copper-development-association-cda-pullman-regional-hospital-keep-patients-safe-antimicrobial-copper/
Whether from a supermarket, farm stand, or your own garden, fresh fruits and vegetables are highlights of summertime. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration reminds you that foodborne bacteria multiply faster in warm weather – and what’s more, safe handling of produce and fresh-squeezed juice is especially important because these foods are often consumed raw.
Keep foods safe this summer by practicing the Four Steps to Food Safety: clean hands and surfaces often; separate raw meats from other foods; cook to the right temperatures; and chill foods promptly. And with delicious, nutritious produce and fresh-squeezed juices, follow these additional tips to prevent food poisoning.
To view Multimedia News Release, go to https://www.multivu.com/mnr/50947-usfda-foodborne-bacteria-safe-handling-food-produce-fresh-juice
Wet, used towels left in the gym. Dirty tissues discarded by someone suffering from a nasty cold. You wouldn’t think of touching these items. But unknowingly, you may be sharing something that could be just as filthy and potentially dangerous when you visit a dental office. Infection control specialists call this cross contamination.
When an unsterilized bib chain is placed around your neck, you may be exposed to dangerous pathogens including pseudomonas, E. coli and Staph aureus – the most common cause of staph infections and a potential “superbug.”
To view Multimedia News Release, go to http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/bibchaincontamination/50626/