Watch this video by NRMA for top tips on motorcycle lane filtering, to keep you safe and moving on NSW roads.
NRMA offer comprehensive motorbike insurance, providing you with cover for your bike against any accidental damage, collision or crashes.
In NSW, lane filtering became legal as of the 1st July 2014. In heavy traffic on multi-lane roads, riders often filter between the lanes. It can be an efficient way to road your motorcycle when done correctly.
1. When you are lane-filtering look out for drivers on both sides.
2. Watch for body language as an indication that they are about to change lanes.
3. Get your speed right. While it may be legal to travel at 30km an hour, it may not be safe to do so.
4. Never ride to the left of a vehicle; it puts you at risk of a collision with a vehicle entering a driveway.
5. Be aware of circumstances where it is still illegal to filter lanes, this includes active school zones.
Accidents happen and if you ride a motorbike or scooter then a motorcycle insurance policy could cover someone else’s property and your motorcycle, should you have an accident.